Posts Tagged ‘learning a foreign language’
We all do it: Eat something we really didn’t want to avoid boredom, avoid stress or to get through a difficult time. When we do this, it’s important to realize we’re not eating to satisfy our hunger, but to feed our anxiety (which can result in a psychological desire for food).
Of course, too much food can result in too much of us. And even though we’re all supermodels, we want to keep fitting into our supermodel jeans (without having to offer up a prayer while trying to zip or button them up). So next time you hit a food mood that really isn’t about hunger, try one of these substitutes to get through the moment instead:
• Drink a glass of water with freshly squeezed lemon
• Listen to a motivational song or create a motivational iPod/MP3 play list
• Pick up a copy of your favorite magazine
• Find a rerun of a favorite sitcom on TV or online
• Write a snail mail letter to a long-lost friend
• Take a relaxing bath (with candlelight!)
• Take a walk (a power walk that makes you sweat!)
• Scan old photos into your computer and create a digital photo album or slide show
And these ideas are just a start. Do you have replacement-for-eating-activities that you rely on when your mental hunger tries to take control? If so, please share them here. After all, we’re all in this together and are all better off keeping these ideas on-hand for the next time a food mood hits that isn’t about food.